Accomodation - Historical Village of Monsanto
The village of Monsanto is inserted into the network Historic Villages and Geopark Naturtejo Meseta Meridional, is located northeast of Idanha-a-Nova (county seat), and in 1938 won the contest for the Most Portuguese Village in Portugal .
The village of Monsanto - the historic village whose origin dates back to the Paleolithic, is carved through the granite in "Montes-Island" of Monsanto.
Rich in tradition and history stands out in Monsanto's party celebrating Santa Cruz resistance to the invaders being recorded in history toughness and courage of the people of this historic village.
Accommodation in Monsanto
With a prime location, the house - Casa da Tia Piedade, offers one of the most beautiful views of the village of Monsanto and surrounding plain.
It is a space that invites to rest in a family environment, after a day of discovering this wonderful historical village.
You can enjoy a magnificent view while having breakfast.
The Casa da Tia Piedade offers visitors total autonomy, you can choose to cook your own meals.
Rooms and Rates
House consists of one triple room and one double room
2 people: € 57 (minimum charge)
3 people: € 70
4 people: € 83
5 people: € 96
Extra bed single: € 13
Extra bed couple (sofa): € 26
Cots for babies: Free
Breakfast: 4€ per person
Always rented in exclusive use
Payment can be done in cash or via a POS machine on-site. This machine is only compatible with Multibanco (MB) cards.
Terrace with panoramic views
Internet access via wi-fi and also mobile network
TV (135 channels)
Bed rooms with air conditioning
living room with air conditioning
Electric coffee maker
A barbecue (BBQ)
Dining area outside
The landscapes and the people
Region of schist and granite guarding stories of ancient traditions and achievements.
Located in central Portugal, area of soaring towers of its medieval castles, historic villages of this region preserves what is most genuine Portugal: its people and a proud history of over 900 years.
The historic villages located high in the hills, guarding the surrounding land, from the top of its towers, strategically located along the border.
This region is rich in history, legends and heritage but also offers superb scenery!
The Historic Villages are very ancient townships with historical importance.They stand up in the highlands usually because they were cores defense of populations that settled on them.
Distinguished by military architecture, most of them are surrounded by walls and develops from a castle.
The Historic Villages Programme, formulated by the Portuguese government in 1991, restored the following villages in Beira Interior (Part of the former Beira Alta and Beira Baixa):
Almeida (village), Mendo Castle, New Castle, Castelo Rodrigo (village), Idanha-a-Velha, Linhares da Beira, Marialva, Monsanto (village), Piódão, Sortelha, Belmonte (village), Trancoso (city).
The Geopark Naturtejo, the first Portuguese geopark , joined in 2006 the European Network and Global Geoparks.
It develops in a territory of 4616 km2 in the districts of Castelo Branco, Idanha-a-Nova, Proenca-a-Nova, Nisa, Oleiros and Vila Velha de Ródão.
In this territory are priorities the geoconservation, education and geotourism, grounded in a geological reference, since the geology is an element standardizing the territory.
History, heritage and traditions
Monsanto is a village of Idanha-a-Nova, with 131.76 km ² and 829 inhabitants (2011).
Historic village of Portugal, Monsanto is built in granite, standing out for their homes "carved" into the granite.
Monsanto, may be seen on the side of a large steep elevation, the designated Cabeço Monsanto (Mons Sanctus), the highest point reaches its peak 758 meters.
The human presence on this site date from the Paleolithic and archeology tells us that the site was inhabited by the Romans, at the foot of the hill there are also traces of the passage Visigothic and Arabic.
Currently Monsanto is known as the Most Portuguese Village of Portugal and is inserted into the network of Historic Villages.
The historic village of Monsanto notes the human presence since the Paleolithic by the archaeological remains, were also found evidence of the Visigothic and Arabic, as well as the Romans who may have inhabited the foothills of the mountain.The first charter was granted to Monsanto in 1174 and later confirmed in 1190 by D. Sancho Alfonso I and II in 1217. In 1510 D.Manuel I granted him a new charter and gave Monsanto the title of town.
Monsanto was the county seat in the period between 1758-1853.
A serious accident in the nineteenth century, caused by the explosion of an ammunition magazine destroy its medieval castle.
Monsanto became known as the Portuguese village of Portugal More proudly displaying his trophy, whose replica can be found at the top of the Clock Tower or Lucano, obtained in a competition in 1938.
CultureLUCANO TOWERAncient bell tower boasts a replica of the trophy that symbolizes the title of Most Portuguese village of Portugal.
MOTHER CHURCH (S. SALVADOR)
Dedicated to S. Salvador, the church has beautiful gilded altars of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. The building of the church can be traced back to the sixteenth or seventeenth centuries.
CASTLE WALLS AND MONSANTO
Classified as a national monument since 1948 are an example of medieval military architecture of the period located along the boundary line.
Its construction dates back to XIII century, has undergone several changes between the fourteenth and seventeenth centuries.
THE SOLAR OF MARQUIS OF GRACIOSA
Dating century XVII is where currently runs the Tourist and museum center with a space for temporary exhibitions.
PILGRIMAGE "SENHORA DO CASTELO OR CROSSES"
(3 May or the following Sunday)
PILGRIMAGE IN HONOR OF "SENHORA DA AZENHA"
(2nd Weekend in September)
MYSTERIES OF EASTER
MADEIROMADEIROADUFEIRAS OF MONSANTO
From Portugal and the most diverse corners of the world, the "Casa da Tia Piedade" accommodation, has received numerous visitors who have left their testimony in our Guestbook
See in http://www.casadatiapiedade.blogspot.pt